Roll over image to zoom in

Woodchuck Hill in January

All photos property of the Steamboat Springs History Museum.
No duplication, reprinting, or use permitted without written consent of the Tread of Pioneers Museum.
8195
Woodchuck Hill in January
1909-1918
Black and white panoramic photo of Woodchuck Hill. Photo from album belonging to Harris Frazier, son of Floyd Frazier. Page in album is labeled "Woodchuck Hill / Steamboat Springs" and has typed description: "From the top of Woodchuck we used to coast on our sleds, and what a ride it was. In the late winter, in March, when the snow would melt a little in the daytime and crust over at night, we would start early in the morning while we could easily walk on the crust, and go to the top of this little mountain. The snow was four or five feet deep and of course the sage brush was completely covered. We could coast from the top, across the flat, cross the bridge over the river (the pictures were taken from the road at the bridge) and down a little ways to the depot. Two of the many springs around Steamboat appear in these pictures. The spring on the river bank was the Sulphur Spring and that to the right was the Soda Spring. The latter flowed water that tasted just like club soda, while the other offered water that tasted strongly of sulphur. Once you cultivated a taste for it it was very tasty, and horses loved it, but it was a little funny tasting at best. On the following page are similar views." Floyd Frazier was the Secretary Treasurer of the Steamboat Springs Town and Quarry Company in 1909, owned a large ranch in Pleasant Valley, and helped build the bath house, the Frazier Building, and the Cabin Hotel.
Harris Frazier
Steamboat Springs
Panorama
B & W Photo